What are Coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are a large group of viruses that are common among animals. In rare cases, they are what scientists call zoonotic, meaning they can be transmitted from animals to humans, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is a dangerous diseases with incubation period between 4-6 days. It is fatal especially for those with weakened immune system, the elderly and the very young. It could also result in Pneumonia and bronchitis.
How it spreads
Viruses can spread from human contact with animals and also from human to human.
When it comes to human-to-human transmission of the viruses, often it happens when someone comes into contact with the infected person’s secretions. The exposure factors are;
- a cough
- sneeze or
The virus can also be transmitted by touching something an infected person has touched and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes.
Signs and Symptoms
The viruses can make people sick. Coronavirus symptoms include;
- a runny nose
- sore throat
- possibly a headache
There is no vaccine to protect against this family of viruses. Reduce your risk of infection by
- Wash your hands with soap and water before touching anything including your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
- Disinfect the objects and surfaces you touch.
- If you are sick, stay home and avoid crowds and contact with others.
- There is no specific treatment. Most of the time, symptoms will go away on their own.
- Doctors can relieve symptoms by prescribing a pain or fever medication.
- A room humidifier or a hot shower can help with a sore throat or cough.
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Get rest and sleep as much as possible.
- If symptoms feel worse than a standard cold, see your doctor
Source: Ghana health service